Monday, March 5, 2012

Swinging FORE a cure!

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training is a completely “NEW” experience for me, literally, every aspect of it from the team bonding, the fundraising, the cause – Everything!

 On February 18, 2012, I held my 1st fundraiser.  It marked the1st Annual Iron Ty’s Golf Classic. We had a total of 11 teams and 44 players set to tee off at 7:46am for a 4 man scramble.  It started off cold and breezy but by mid morning, the sun began to peek out and we were warmed by the sunshine.  

 Although, I didn’t participate in a group, I made my way around the course with Matt’s father, Ron and our designated photographer, Phil.  The three of us squeezed in a golf cart the entire day and enjoyed seeing all the participants as we took their photos and thanked them for their participation.  Several friends from the past, family members, friends of friends and friends of family were among the participants.  It was a great turnout for a great cause. 

In order to raise funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society I held a raffle giving away several prizes donated by friends, family and a local business.  100% of the raffle proceeds went directly to LLS. Among the prizes were gift certificates to Habana Cuba Restaurant, Free rounds of Golf, autographed baseballs from the SF Giants, a Shell gas card, Jamba Juice gift cards, a Scotty Cameron Putter and a Titleist Driver.  Each ticket was sold for $10, 6 tickets for $50 and 12 tickets for $100.00.  

Those who could not participate the day in the tournament were given the opportunity to purchase raffle tickets by donating directly to my site or per purchasing them in advance.  It was nice to see several of the participants of the tournament win prizes. Additionally, we handed out a few individual prizes (Longest Drive and Closest to the Pin.)  

All in all, I raised approximately $900 dollars in raffle ticket sells alone and an additional $300 in donations directly to my site.  

I cannot express my gratitude enough for the generosity of everyone.  Your donation helps families who suffer from blood cancer each day.  Again, I do have a personal connection to the cause in the Souza Family.  My hope is that one day we will find a cure not only for blood cancer but ALL cancer.    

A special “Thank You” to all the participants and the following people who donated items to be raffled or their time in the tournament ~ Matthew Montalvo, Jennifer Echeverri, Frank Keffer, The Souza Family, Ron Montalvo and Phil Inman.

I will see you again next year for the 2nd Annual Iron Ty’s Golf Classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment